Friday 13 January 2012


Observations and sounds from a sizzling day in Durban…driving along lamenting not having an air-con in my car or at home, sweat popping out of my eyeballs, I heard two men singing in harmony while they dug a ditch across the road, their overall tops down and the sweat gleaming on their lean muscles. A tired little girl sat on a pavement with her feet in the street and waited for a bus from school, all new and bright in her uniform but way too young to be alone. I heard a woman in the shop saying….”I just want to know about the cheese, HOW LONG DOES THAT TAKE for shit’s sake? I don’t want you to milk the cow and separate the milk and process the cheese”. 
There was a boy about 12, begging, with his glue in hand and his feet, bare on the almost liquid tar road, and as I passed Mark Gold restaurant (my car is really a bit gross for passing Mark Gold), I saw sweet, pretty young things seated alfresco, sipping iced water from a huge jug filled with water, ice and fruit. Their summer dresses were all wafty in the small breeze. Oh the bitter- sweet contrasts of our city at 33 degrees.
Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.
-- Warren Buffett


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous Janet. Just the kind of things we think about but you took them and made them real. Great stuff. Trish